I may have underestimated the height of my tiara. It has officially been hot glued. But that’s just because I’ve been able to go to so many different events. And that’s why this Weekly Princess Recap (WPR) is so belated.
Here are a few highlights from the last couple of weeks!
- Above all else, my biggest accomplishment as a princess has been convincing a 4 year old girl at Ronald McDonald House to not only try broccoli but also to love it as much as I do.
- Had one of my outreaches at the Camp Atterbury USO Center. Love their mission and their volunteers. Had a great time celebrating National Jelly Bean Day with the troops there.
- While working at one of the study trips out at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS), a teacher visiting with her class stopped and asked if I was an education major. She “saw a lot of teacher” in me and was ready to offer me a teaching job on the spot. Had me thinking for just a few hours that I’d missed my calling haha
- One of the classes visiting the track was from the school where my cousin Megan teaches. The kids were so excited to hear their kindergarten teacher was my cousin. Rocked their world even more when I revealed Megan was a past 500 Festival Princess.
- Went with Flashes of Hope to Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital to visit and take photos with kids. Flashes of Hope is a nonprofit that raises money to find a cure for cancer and also offers free photo shoots for families who have a child with cancer. They aim to make the kids the focus, not the cancer.
There was a girl who’d been photographed several years ago and was excited to get a comparison shot and another who’d just learned that morning she was finally getting to go home. And then there were the kids who could only take a few minutes of photos because they were so exhausted. But they all had so much strength in their smiles. It really was remarkable.
- The 33 princesses always work a Gatorade station at IMS for the runners in the Indy Mini Marathon. I had a total blast cheering on all of the runners. Past Indy Car driver, Sarah Fisher was handing out cups of Gatorade right next to me. Not that it was a contest, but I’m pretty sure she handed out twice as many as me just because she’s super cool, haha
There are so many more events and special moments, from the 500 Festival’s Kickoff to May to helping serve tea at the Vernon Sassafras Tea Festival.
Here’s to the rest of the month of May!